Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 15, 2015 'Visit to Torres Del Payne, a Chilean National Park."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I hope that you had an awesome birthday. Thank you for the years that you have sacrificed to be my wonderful mother. You have been such a blessing in my life and I love you so much…
                This week was a little interesting… first off it snowed Tuesday, but after a few days it went away. Then Sunday morning it snowed like crazy and Monday throughout the day and today.. there is about 4 inches of snow already and they say that it is going to snow the rest of the week.. so we will see what happens.
                So wednesday in the morning we had intercambios with the zone leaders. (Elder Dominquez [from the Dominican republic] and Elder Fotheringham [from salt lake city]) I went with Elder Fotheringham to his sector. We had a good day and had a great lesson with a part member family. The dad (who is a member but inactive) opened up to us and told us a lot about his doubts. It was an awesome experience. Thursday morning as Elder Muñoz and I were traveling back to our house in a colectivo (basically a taxi but that has a route like a bus), I remembered that we had to stop in centro to go to a ciber to send a few documents to the secretary of the mission so that I can file for my second visa. So we had to stop really quick and guess what… I forgot my little suitcase (that I had but the things that I needed for the intercambio because I slept there in their house, like my sleeping bag, my personal hygenie items, shirt, preach my gospel, other things and my Journal) in the trunk of the car.. so that was a bummer and we are hopeing that the driver still hasn’t noticed and it is still in the back of the trunk and that when he finds it, that he will take it to the terminal of the colectivo to return it… so that was an interesting experience. Made me think how the thing material really can disappear in a second while the things spiritual are the most important because they will never go away…
                So the sister missionaries talked with a guy who was drunk and he wanted us to visit him because he wants to stop drinking… we stopped by thursday and he hadn’t drinking hardly anything that day (which was a miracle itself) and we stopped by as well Saturday. We invited him to church and he accepted to come. (his name is Jose) we also invited Sandra to come. She didn’t really want to go because her daughter (that has 4 years) is really hyper and she didn’t want her to cause distractions, but she accepted to come.. Then a member who lives near (the relief society president) called her and invited her to come as well.. she has been helping us with Sandra and has been a great help. But Sunday Luis and Bernarda, Quilaqueo, Sandra, and Jose and three inactive members came to church!! It was an awesome day and they all really liked it.   
                Monday morning at 6:15 we left Punta Arenas in a 14 seater van to go to the Torres del Payne. A national park that is really famous. As we left, it started snowing really hard and we had to take it slow.. we had a few snow ball fights as we took breaks to stretch out. But we arrived in Puerto Natales and pick up the two Elders there.. (after 4 hours) and headed for the Torres.. then it started to rain. Basically all day there was clouds and rain and wind while we were there. We couldn’t see the Torres because there was clouds, so that was a little lame, but we still took fotos and it was still really pretty. The lakes have a really blue color. We had a good time and got to know each other better as well.  Then we visited a cave of the mylodon. An animal that became extinct and it is a little tourist site. So we got back to Puerto Natales at 6:30pm and headed back to Puenta Arenas. We got  back at 9:30.. all in all it was disappointing that we couldn’t see the Torres but we still enjoyed it..
                I love being out here in the msion and I love the Book of Mormon. I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Christ and has a power that is offered to anyone who studies, ponders, applies and prays about it. I have come to love the book and I always find strength and comfort in the words that are written. I know that it was inspiried of God and that God gave it to us for a wise purpose. It is truly a wonderful and a marvolious work. I know that it was written for us and if we do not us it, God will hold us accountable. It is a gift from him and we need to appreciate it and apply the things it teaches into our lifes. I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week.
 
Love, Elder Hughes
 
 
 
 
                                          Our first snow of the year...in front of the chapel.
 
                        
                               Torres Del Payne National Park
 
 
 
A postcard picture of what we would have seen without the fog.
 
Another postcard picture of Torres Del Payne National Park
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment